Thursday, August 2, 2018

Meet Your Teachers

Miss Kogler - Lead Teacher

THEN

I have always had a passion for teaching and helping others. I grew up in a household of five children. Every day I learned something new from my siblings experiences, stories, and direct instruction. In high school, I discovered my deep passion for fostering relationships and developing plans. 

Everyone always told me, "You'd make a great teacher."

My mom was a kindergarten teacher for 25 years. My summers and after school hours took place in her classroom  organizing books and gathering materials for her. After high school, I moved from Southern California to Arizona with my parents and attended Mesa Community College. It only took one semester for me to know that a business degree wouldn't suit me. There was a kids program at a local church that caught my eye and I knew immediately that planning curriculum, group management and working with kids was exactly what I wanted in a career. 

I transferred to the winter snow globe of Minnesota, Martin Luther College. MLC specializes in educating teachers on the history of education and teaching strategies that have been used past through present. I had many firsts there, my first blizzard (no, not from dairy queen), my first cheese curd, and my first professional teaching experiences. 

You'll never guess what happened next.

I had a job teaching elementary school all lined up for after graduation. All of my class requirements, teacher's assistant work, and student teaching experiences were complete. An active experience guiding leader job opened up at Backroads Travel. I thought to myself, "What an amazing way to mix the outdoors and education." 

NOW

Since accepting a position with Backroads Travel, I have taken families on tours of Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, The Grand Canyon, Santa Barbara, Napa Valley, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree, Sedona, Tucson, Croatia, Montenegro, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. My time has been spent learning the culture, history, food, language, and outdoor recreation routes in each location. I have gathered a plethora of experiences that I cannot wait to bring into the classroom.




Mrs. Arnold - Assistant Teacher

My name is Lauren Arnold. I am so excited to be the Assistant Teacher to Miss Kogler this year in 4A. This will be my second year as an Assistant Teacher at Arete. Getting back to work with each of your kids is so exciting for me. 

THEN 

I am originally from Kentucky, but have lived in Arizona for three years now. I still miss my old Kentucky home, but I feel at home here in Arizona and love living here. I graduated from the University of Louisville in 2008 with a degree in Psychology. Last year as my first year back to work after staying home with my children for six years. I feel so fortunate to get to help educate and shape these amazing kids.


NOW

My two kiddos are students at Arete as well! My son, Jameson, is going into First Grade and my daughter, Natalie, is starting Kindergarten this year.

In any spare time I find, I love to read! I love reading Classics (Little Women and Pride and Prejudice are some favorites), as well as modern fiction, and books about teaching and parenting. I also enjoy getting to explore Arizona by going on hikes with my family and camping up North in the cooler weather. 

I look forward to meeting each of you and getting to know you and your children this year!



3 comments:

  1. YEEAAAHHH!! Excited to meet you both this evening. Ms. Kogler - from the moment I read about you in the May newsletter, I have hoped and prayed you would be Mark's teacher. Looking forward to having you both in his life this next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennie! It was lovely meeting all of our parents last Thursday. We are looking forward to a great year.

      Delete
  2. It's going to be an exciting year.

    ReplyDelete